The Giving Report IV - A Survey on the Giving Practices of High-Net-Worth Individuals in South Africa
"It has been nine years since we launched the first edition of The Giving Report, a research initiative that was the first of its kind in South Africa, looking at the giving behaviours and practices of high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs). As a business we have continued to invest in this periodic research due to the consistently overwhelming and positive feedback, and believe this research continues to play a significant role in strengthening philanthropy in our country. I am very proud to present this fourth edition of The Giving Report, which builds on eight years of in-depth research, feedback and suggestions.
It has been pleasing to identify some positive demographic shifts in the sample population of HNWIs for the first time since we introduced the research. Especially pleasing is the growth in the percentage of female and non-white HNWIs who participated in this cycle. Given the still alarmingly high levels of inequality in our country, this is a positive shift and we look forward to this trend expanding even further in the future. The effects of the sustained tough global economic climate have trickled down and are being felt by all. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the total percentage of affluent South Africans who consistently engage in philanthropy has gradually declined over the eight years during which The Giving Report has been produced. This latest report shows that this trend continues, with 83% of HNWIs having said that they regularly gave, compared with 94% in 2010.
On the positive side, while the total number of givers has declined, those who did give were giving more. This means the total value of the philanthropic efforts of donors has increased consistently over the past few years. This, coupled with the demographic expansion of the giving base, will prove very important in tackling the social challenges in our country going forward. As South Africa's economic difficulties continue, the strain on the country's non-profit sector will almost certainly intensify, meaning that the sector will depend even more on the generosity and collaboration of all donors. Our non-profit organisations (NPOs) fulfill an important and invaluable role in our society, so it is vital for donors to work even more closely with each other to coordinate their efforts and compound the positive impact of their giving. The findings of this latest study once again provide an opportunity for NPOs to align with what donors are doing and understand what areas they are supporting and to what extent. We hope that this report will inspire more individuals and organisations to become part of the giving ecosystem, which is so vital to the well-being of our country and its people. " - Iolanda Ruggiero, Managing Executive: Nedbank Wealth
Source details: Nedbank Private Wealth: The Giving Report IV - A Survey on the Giving Practices of High-Net-Worth Individuals in South Africa
- SA's shifting philanthropy landscape set to enhance positive impact of giving (Bizcommunity)
- SA's high-net-worth remain committed to philanthropy - new report (Bizcommunity)
- Here’s how South Africa’s rich are giving their money away (Business Tech)
- South Africa’s rich are still giving — and they’re giving extra (Daily Maverick)
- First-hand insights on high-net-worth giving in South Africa (Nedbank)
- Giving Report Launch | Insights - At an event to launch the latest Nedbank Private Wealth Giving Report, Marilize Lansdell, Head of Wealth Management, South Africa and Noxolo Hlongwane, Head of Philanthropy at Nedbank Private Wealth shared their insights:
- Giving Report Launch | Key Highlights - At an event to launch the latest Nedbank Private Wealth Giving Report, esteemed and expert panellists shared their insights:
- Giving Report Launch | In conversation with Prof Phakeng - At an event to launch the latest Nedbank Private Wealth Giving Report, Professor Mamokgethi Phakeng, Vice-chancellor of the University of Cape Town, shared her insights and views:
The Giving Report IV | Panel Discussion - At an event to launch the latest Nedbank Private Wealth Giving Report, esteemed and expert panellists shared their insights:
The Giving Report IV | Our guests share their views- At an event to launch the latest Nedbank Private Wealth Giving Report, diverse guests shared their thoughts and views: